Pages

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Hi, I'm Taylor and I Breastfeed.

Whew, I'm glad we got that out there. Lately it feels like you almost have to whisper that fact as to not offend anyone or have unwanted advice thrown at you, and that's not fair. 

Thatcher and I had the opportunity to attend the Big Latch On last year. It was such a fun thing to be a part of a world record while raising awareness for breastfeeding and normalizing it in public. I even met some really cool mama's that share a lot of my own interests.

Next month there will be another Latch On and I'm really excited to go with another little nursling. But it also makes me remember the pain it caused last year as well. 




 At first, I was overwhelmed by the amount of negative or non-understanding comments about a picture that showed less than a bikini. Just as a disclaimer I will NEVER EVER get angry or offended that you believe differently than me.. on anything. Seriously, we may not agree but I think that some things work for some people that may not work for others; to each their own. So I hope that my discussions with breastfeeding never get taken that way. I will however, try to educate because it's an issue that is close to my heart and so important to many mothers and dads out there. When the negativity came raining down I cried a lot, which isn't like me. I have pretty tough skin. It wasn't because I was hurt or because people were disagreeing or criticizing my choice to feed my baby in public. It was because it was all at once. It was like standing in a room and being shouted at by ten different people and not being able to say anything to my defense. It was a little paralyzing. 

But just when the negative comments and messages (and not all were negative, some were simply curious) were becoming too much I received almost as many positive ones. I received messages from a handful of friends and acquaintances who are currently expecting and a handful from some who have babies. The former expressed their gratitude to my desire to educate people on breastfeeding and my desire to make it normal in any setting. Some said that they didn't plan on breastfeeding because they knew it could be isolating and made harder by others because they knew they would be judged or lectured, but because of my passion and love for it they wanted to try. The latter expressed thanks that I was brave enough to do something that they felt they couldn't do without dealing with negative consequences. 

And then I remembered that's why I do it. That's what this is all about. If I can help one woman to overcome that fear of being criticized to feed her precious baby however she wants (whether it be in public, private, a car, a store, covered or uncovered) my goal is accomplished. We need to remember that we are a sisterhood of mothers and that our choices can impact others more than we realize. 

So to clear things up, this is why I choose to breastfeed in public without a blanket. 

Because Thatcher hates having a blanket over his face. He was a summer newborn and got in the habit of pushing away a blanket early on because it was HOT! And I don't blame him! 

Because breastfeeding isn't sexual and it's not necessarily intimate for everyone. While you can feel strong emotions of love and adoration while breastfeeding when it comes down to it milk is milk and babies need to eat. I will not be held responsible for other's sexualization of something.  

Because I used to breastfeed in private and it was the most isolating feeling I've known. Sitting for an hour at a time (and even now for minutes) while others are out enjoying company of each other is a bummer. 

Because I've met so many women who give up because of lack of resources or information and don't trust their bodies when in reality they were doing everything perfectly. 

Because I've met so many women who have given up breastfeeding purely because someone disapproved or shamed them in public

Because feeding my baby should be so normal that others don't even notice or bat an eye-- it shouldn't cause an uproar. Businesses should accept a mother nourishing her child in any way so long as she's doing it safely. 

Because for us, it's right. 

I believe that every parent and child are different. And that's why mother's should be able to feed however they please and not be shamed. Breastfeeding is hands down my favorite thing about being a mother. It's the greatest ability that God has blessed me with, and I will fight for the right of those who choose to do it publicly however they feel comfortable. 

Mothers already have a tough job with long hours and little time to socialize with others. Imagine how amazing it could be if we stood with each other instead of tearing each other down. 

No comments:

Post a Comment